Thursday, June 21, 2012

An Interview with...First Years Part 1!






Hello, I’m Rita Skeeter.

'I write for the daily prophet. But, of course, you know that, don’t you? It’s you we don’t know. You’re the juicy news. What quirks lurk beneath those rosy cheeks? What mysteries do the muscles mask? Does courage lie beneath those curls? In short, what makes a champion tick? Me, myself and I want to know. Not to mention my ravid readers. So, who’s feeling up to sharing?'


Ah, a group of first years! Eliseaboo (E) of Slytherin, CatsMousehold of Gryffindor (C), michwelle(M)of Hufflepuff  and raederle(R) of Ravenclaw! Smashing!
(Shamelessly stol...I mean borrowed from the 'Firsties Lounge' thread! )

Which classes have you enjoyed most so far?

E: I think I’d have to say COMC, because there are always many great options and fun ideas, but Potions comes in a close second for having such thoughtful prompts. Really any class that allows some creative interpretation!

C: I’ve enjoyed Transfiguration when it’s been offered and Care of Magical Creatures the most! I really am very critter oriented (I have four cats…three of which are black and one ginger! Two parrotlets, a dog, a schneider’s skink and two guinea pigs…one MOTH (male of the house) and no children) and I immediately fell in love with making stuffed critters when I learned to crochet!! These two classes seem to offer the most animal/critter oriented subjects which gets my creativity and motivation going. And I’ve always said, “One is never too old for stuffies!” and I delight in giving all my “grown-up” friends toys!

Tackling any OWLs or Phoenixes?

E: Yes! Both! I’m redesigning a hat for my OWL, complete with a sale-quality pattern write-up. It’s my first attempt at any real pattern design or writing, so I’m eager to see where it takes me. 

And nice job trying to trick information out of a Firstie - my mission is highly classified information as you know!

C: BOTH! And the scope of each projects on its own is daunting but I’m going to do my Gryffie best to accomplish both of them. :)

M: Why yes I am! I am making a Daybreak shawl for my Phoenix.No OWL though, maybe next semester.

R: Yes, as an NQFY I proposed and completed my first OWL for Transfiguration. I crocheted a Grany Square blanket. This term I am tackling my Charms OWL. I plan to spin at least 800 yards of lace weight. I have almost half of my singles completed and need to finish the other half before the end of June to earn 50 points.

This reporter would like it to be known that our Firsties are pretty adventurous! This bunch seem to have a particular penchant for mini socks and teapot cozies! And many have been seen down on the Quidditch pitch!


What about House Challenges? You had a go at any of them?

C: Several! I try and dip my toe into everything! I particularly enjoy the Head Mistress Challenge for all the houses. Also, my pride “Skiving Snackboxes” co-won the Gryffie sock-a-long!!

R: After telling myself I wouldn’t, I did participate in the ABC Headmistress Challenge last term. I had a lot of fun figuring out how to make my planned projects fit into the prompts for the challenge. 


As an NQFY, we came up with an idea to have a penguin a-long during break month. It was a lot of fun to plan and participate in making penguins. We made it open ended so any penguin counted. 


I also try to participate in Ravenclaw House activites. In May, we had a washcloth/pigeon/OWL swatch a-long.

What do you think about your Housemates so far?

E: Slytherin is definitely the place for me! Full of wit, snarkiness, and endless hotties…what more could a girl ask for! No one ever seems to knit “just a sock” in that house…no, it’s a shaped, striped, patterned sock for their kid’s dog’s friend, and the match has been Reduccio’d when they tried to send it via the floo system! But it isn’t all fun and games (usually), they also are helpful with class ideas, projects, and most importantly, moral support. I couldn’t feel luckier to be here!

C: I like the Grrr’ness of my housemates and in particular my pride mates!! I’m still not used to hanging out in the new lounges though, having only really stuck around the NQFY lounge before being sorted. Now I have the Great Hall, The Common Room, The Skiving Snackbox pride and the Firsties lounge to check. It makes my head spin a bit!

M: Great people with extraordinary imaginations. I feel blessed to be included.

R: I love them! I may not see eye-to-eye with everyone but I can find things I like and appreciate about each of them.

What is (in your opinion) your Houses greatest quality?

E: Their ability to think “outside of the box” - it’s a creative (if a bit quirky) group of problem solvers!

C: I like the Grrr’ness of my housemates and in particular my pride mates!! I’m still not used to hanging out in the new lounges though, having only really stuck around the NQFY lounge before being sorted. Now I have the Great Hall, The Common Room, The Skiving Snackbox pride and the Firsties lounge to check. It makes my head spin a bit!

M: Amazingness!

R: We are supportive. No matter what we are facing, everyone in the Tower rallies support. If I smash my finger, I know that I will have several love clicks within minutes and a few encouraging words. If I need an opinion or advice, I know someone in the Tower will have a great point that I hadn’t considered. On the flip side, I know that if someone posts, needing support, even if I’ve never chatted with that person before, I feel like I can offer a hug, love or commiseration without fear that someone will think I’m barging in where I don’t belong.

Complete the following ; If Firsties ruled the school then….

E: …I’d never finish any projects!

C: …there would be a spell that would put all the rules of the House Cup in your brain so you would auto-magically know how to maximise points and know where a project best fit rather than figuring it out half way through the year. And perhaps a scrying spell to be able to figure out the “magic unknown it factor” to get the most points in one class a semester. And a mini house hippo to snuggle at night!

M: …you would need to keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times! LOL

R: … there would be more penguins, everywhere.



Stay tuned for part 2 next week! 

2 comments:

Creamsicle Knit said...

YEAH FIRSTIES!! PENGUIN POWER!!!

tiger_beat said...

w00t for the Firsties!